About Me

My photo
I am a happily married new mom who loves exploring, creating new adventures and loving on my sweet daughter. I am a K-2 teacher who is now staying at home with my little one! Welcome as I explore all things a part of my sweet city love!
Powered by Blogger.

9.07.2011

Travel

I stumbled across an article (thanks Flipboard!) this morning "How to Travel if You're Young and Middle-Class." Enjoyed the article, felt icky by the title of the blog: "Leave Your Daily Hell." Ugh,  I felt turned off before I even started to read.  Once I scrolled down and and eliminated the title from my view, the article was quite pleasant.

Here is his conclusion, which I couldn't agree with more: "The bottom line is simple: in order to travel, you have to want to travel - and being middle class, middle income or just plain broke is not a good excuse to hold you back if you really want it...."

My brain started churning and dancing back to thoughts of my own travels.  I feel lucky and blessed to have been to so many places in my life.  Some destinations were by the good fortune of traveling with my family and others were fueled by my own personal desires to travel and explore.  Each time we go somewhere or do something new, I learn a little bit more about myself.  What drives me to do more and to be better?  When I am traveling, I do not have stop-in-your-tracks life altering feelings.  My purpose is in the Sistine Chapel! or This french baguette enlightened me!  These aren't thoughts that run through my mind.  But, there are feelings that I have experienced while away from home that have stayed with me.  Staring hundreds of feet down straight into crashing waves overlooking Inishmore in Ireland.  Conquering the never ending hike in Cinque Terre.  Eating the biggest bowl of fresh fruit in Austria.  Having the longest chat on Rue Cler in Paris with my man. Holding the face of a street dog who looked just like Charlie and rubbing his eyebrows.  These experiences have made me stronger, shown me that this world is so much bigger than I could ever imagine, and given me a feeling of purpose.  I have a short time here on earth and want to enjoy it all.  What is it that makes ME happy.  Not what I think others want me to do - but how can I make an impact on my life and on others while doing what I love to do.  And for me, travel is and always will be a part of my personal adventure.

I have never traveled in order to "leave my daily hell." Travel isn't the answer to a crappy life.  Taking chances and choosing adventure help to add fun, stories, laughter and dimension, but it certainly won't fix you.  If your everyday life is so drab, make a change! Don't whine and complain about how awful life is and how much better it is when you escape.  Escaping IS your life - just in a new place.  Take the adventure, the memorable stories and the feelings of experiencing new things to help create meaning every single day.  Life is too short to feel trapped.  Make something of it.

Life works in mysterious ways.  We moved out of DC, left our jobs (which I loved...one of the hardest decisions I have ever made) and boarded a plane to Europe.  Nothing I would have expected of myself and yet it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.  That trip took us back to Richmond, took me to HSES, C to the Brandcenter, us to New York and now on another wild ride.  We aren't stuck, nor are we looking to escape.  We are a part of this ride called life and are ready to keep creating our story.

Deep thoughts for a Wednesday morning.  The rain, the thunder, my hot tea, Charlie snuggled in bed just got me thinking...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your messages and comments!