About Me

My photo
I am a happily married new mom who loves exploring, creating new adventures and loving on my sweet daughter. I am a K-2 teacher who is now staying at home with my little one! Welcome as I explore all things a part of my sweet city love!
Powered by Blogger.

9.26.2011

mosquito-ville

Thanks y'all who left the sweetest comments about my big decision coming up.  After talking to family and friends, I have made my decision to accept the challenge :) I think it led to a night of tossing and turning and some slight anxiety, but I am confident in it and so excited! I can't quite divulge about the details of my new adventure yet but will VERY soon!

We had a fabulous weekend at a black tie gala on Friday and got to catch up with some great friends.  A night of wining, dining and dancing led to a very slow Saturday :)  A perfect Saturday in fact to lounge on our back deck with a pumpkin spice latte, our Kindles (The Hunger Games book 3...yes!) and Charlie.
See...doesn't it look so nice??










The only teensy weensy problem is that our backyard is not so pleasant. We have discovered our blood is made of 100% sugar and we seem to attract every single mosquito in Virginia.

Week after week, it goes something like this:
Powering up my kindle, taking in our backyard scenery: "Wow, I love our backyard.  Why don't we come out here more often?"

"And look, I don't see a single mosquito! Maybe they're all gone now.  We should use the firepit tonight!"

Sip, sip of my drink. AHHHHH, oww and WHACK.  First mosquito sighting, first mosquito bite. "it's ok,  I don't see any others."

Whack, whack, whack "That's it! I'm going in!"

This time, we lasted 4 minutes.  It takes about a week until we forget about the mosquitos again and venture back to our deck only to become mosquito food once again.

So then we bought this:


Our very own mosquito net! We unzip it, climb in and watch the mosquitos whack into it as they try to attack.  It's amazing.  Unsightly, ridiculous, impossible to build a firepit inside (for risk of death...),  challenging to crawl inside BUT completely 100% mosquito free.

The really cute, newly purchased teal umbrella, white adirondack chairs and newly built deck do not matter.  The monster net held down my bricks is our only source of backyard survival.  We even ran off Verizon as they came running out from behind our garage slapping at their arms and itching their legs (maybe that's why they let our dog out and left our cable off for 3 weeks post Irene...mosquito revenge!).  Behind the garage appears to be moisture free...so where are these suckers breeding???

I think it's time we called The Mosquito Squad.

Until then, we will be sprinting for the net, hoping to make it in time!






1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I can't believe you are having trouble with those pesky pests in VA and in September, no less!!! That's crazy. I love sitting outside with a book and coffee, and your backyard seems like a perfect place....WITH a mosquito net of course :) haha, I love that!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your messages and comments!