About Me

My photo
I am a happily married new mom who loves exploring, creating new adventures and loving on my sweet daughter. I am a K-2 teacher who is now staying at home with my little one! Welcome as I explore all things a part of my sweet city love!
Powered by Blogger.

9.06.2011

Life in the Dark

Hurricane Irene is still looming over our house.  She knocked out power for a full week (gasp!) and we still have no internet or cable.  The monster tree in our neighbor's backyard has our cable line hostage and won't let go.  We need to get that tree chopped up...soon.  Our very sweet and kind neighbors let us borrow their Verizon wireless card to use and while it works great, we don't want to max out their allowed usage and are trying to use it sparingly.  Taking an online class has its perks but the internet is crucial and when it's out, things get trickier.

We are used to no TV from our summer in NYC and are actually still enjoying the freedom lack of TV provides.  We are making conscious decisions of what to watch instead of the TV soaking up our down time, which is honestly not a bad thing, when done in moderation. The moderation is where I have trouble.  TV is my guilty pleasure.  I don't smoke, gamble, do drugs, buy extravagant things (only sometimes :) ), or anything else really crazy and destructive.  I just like TV.  BUT, my relationship with my man is oh so much more important.  We've been talking so much more, playing games, talking long walks and interacting in a way that doesn't involve a glowing screen. This power outage is really just helping (ahem, forcing) me break my TV-crazed habit.  I'm almost there!!  Good thing we'll have a few more days of no cable or internet.....

 Even though there is no fancy streaming or cable watching, we did enjoy an old fashioned DVD the other night. We pulled down Bourne Supremacy from the attic and watched it while I organized pictures for a frame wall we want to put together in our bedroom.  Do people even buy DVDs anymore?! Sadly, I doubt it...sigh.  I am now in the library, writing discussion boards for my class on blackboard (blackboard...I loathe you) and wishing I was at home on this rainy day with my pup, curled up on my sofa with a smoothie, reading my newest book obsession, The Hunger Games trilogy.  C is back in school, I will start in a few weeks and it feels crisp and cool outside.  Just this morning, I walked outside in my summer shorts and quickly realized my legs would freeze and thus had to change into....pants!!!  Fall is storming in...football games, sweaters, hot tea, the freshness of a new school year and bright colorful leaves.  Sounds lovely, except for that pesky cold part.

I've missed blogging stories and really missed WILW! Sweet City Love will be back up and running as soon as comcast restrings our wires :)

1 comment:

  1. Jeremiah still buys DVDs. Not surprising. And bring on the cold weather! Lucky for you it will be in the 80s after today, blah. You can find me checking out Starbucks' new fall drink tonight, Salted Caramel Mocha.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your messages and comments!