About Me

My photo
I am a happily married new mom who loves exploring, creating new adventures and loving on my sweet daughter. I am a K-2 teacher who is now staying at home with my little one! Welcome as I explore all things a part of my sweet city love!
Powered by Blogger.

8.09.2011

Lesson Learned

You know you are NOT from New York City when...

While perusing Chelsea Market on one of the hottest, most humid days of the summer, we sauntered through the cool air conditioning with every other person within a 2 mile radius.  Our off the charts body heat dulled the a/c quite a bit - but anything, anything, anything was better than swimming through the humidity outside.  After I got a shaved ice flavored with Red Plum juice and C had his small cup of coffee (even thought it was blazing hot...the boy needed his coffee), we wandered into a room full of tables set up with people selling!

Jewelry, books, wallets made out of metro cards, clothes that I could never wear, and lots of pretty, sparkly things!  A table near the front was selling jewelry that was just my style - simple, clean and with a tiny bit of sparkle.  After studying the latest NYC fashions (meaning what I notice on the street...) a gold called rose gold is making a strong appearance! It's actually really, really pretty.  It's a rosy pink gold that looks softer than yellow gold.  I saw these three beautiful stacked rings that were thin rose gold, yellow gold and white gold with a tiny sparkly diamond looking center.  I've had my eye on stacked rings since seeing them on Stella & Dot awhile ago.  This could be the purchase I was looking for! I was still searching for something to buy and wear home so I could say..."Oh, this?? It's from New York":)

 I asked "How much?" Well, well, well...here my naivety begins. If you have to ask (meaning there are no prices listed....), well, you know the rest.  "They are five each but are on sale for three ninety five today" she said with a kind smile. WOW!!! I thought...this is the best deal EVER! $3.95 for this ring...I was now even more in love. I wanted to jump up and down and yell "I'll take them all!"

Remaining calm, I instead pointed to these beautiful gem rings (simple gold band with a colored gem in the center), "What about these?" "Oh, they are four each!"  Again, WOW!!! As I was about to reach into my pocket and take out my $10 bill...something stopped me.  Another jewelry patron was asking the price of some simple necklaces at the same table.  "one ninety five, one fifty, etc." the woman was rattling off.  Hmmmm, $1.95 for a necklace? I slinked away, thanking the woman and thanking myself for not making me look like a slight fool...

C and I laughed for awhile.  Each ring - $500.  The set of 3 stacked I wanted so badly - $1500.  We left...and got a pepsi instead.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know which is better...the actual story or your recount of it...but both of them are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! hahaha I think I would have done the exact same thing...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your messages and comments!