About Me

My photo
I am a happily married new mom who loves exploring, creating new adventures and loving on my sweet daughter. I am a K-2 teacher who is now staying at home with my little one! Welcome as I explore all things a part of my sweet city love!
Powered by Blogger.

8.08.2011

CIA Greystone

I have become a culinary world enthusiast thanks to a few very important reasons:

1. My sister is an amazing chef in Charleston, SC and even started her own catering business as a summer job in college.  Watching her work is like nothing I have ever seen before - frenetic, magic, amazement mixed with "oh my gosh, this is insane." Read her blog - Back of the Spoon!
2. My husband and I LOVE trying new dishes, making dinners together and trying new and old favorites in restaurants (we have been to our favorite pizza place in nyc... ohhhh, 7 times now?)
3. The Food Network - thank you Ina, Giada and my new favorite "5 ingredient fix"
4. South of the James farmer's market in Richmond - fresh and local is the BEST
5. Homecooked meals...naturally :)

When we were in Napa, we were surprised with not only an evening dining at the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) Greystone in Napa Valley, but a private birthday dinner on their garden terrace, 4 different paired wines, a mini birthday cake each (cue the angels!) and a tour of the cooking and learning kitchens. We were simply blown away into a culinary heaven.

We had been transported to a magical world where men and women, in white chefs hats and black and white checkered pants, trained to be masters in their field.  I love stepping into a place where I am surrounded by those who genuinely love what they do.  There was a buzz of excitement at the CIA, one where people were proud to tell you about themselves, their school and how lucky they were to be a part of something so grand.  We were served outstanding food, amongst which were the BEST (if not only...tear) heirloom tomatoes we have had all summer. Drizzled in Italian olive oil with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, oh my goodness. Tasting pure food, enhanced by simple ingredients to become outstanding, has to be the best.  We felt so so so lucky.

Since there was such a large group of us, every night we sat beside people who were not in our immediate family and who we didn't spend all day with.  It was actually really, really fun.  C and I ended up sitting across the large c-shaped table from one another.  It usually went like this: hand wave, hand wave to grab each other's attention.  Mouthing "oh my gosh!" while pointing to the plate, snapping a picture and smiling.  We especially got googly over the dessert wine we had, Muscat.  Never had it before, yet hope to have it again.  It was sweet, cold, smooth and a perfect mix with the buttercream frosting of the cake with the sweet raspberry center.  Dessert never tasted so sweet :)

Ohhhh and the tour! The pictures say it all.  Huge, gorgeous, impeccably clean ranges, an entire baking room, a plethora of spices, veggies and cheeses and a nice white chef's hat to go :)  Now, I need to convince my sister to tour the CIA as a possible future student.  Then, we'll just have to go back.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your messages and comments!